2 giant filets of salmon, honey, Sriracha, pepper, cilantro (paste), olive oil, limes, chili powder, minced garlic, asparagus for serving, garlic powder
For my second dish last weekend, I decided to end my Sunday night with a challenge. Oh God, what a huge mistake I made. I tackled *drumroll* Sriracha Lime Salmon! I have NEVER in my life cooked fish before so it was trial by
almost literal fire.
I realized as I cooked that there were a lot of things I didn’t know about cooking fish that I should have figured out prior to approaching this recipe. It’s all good though, because leaping without looking has been the theme of my cooking adventure.
I didn’t mean for this post to be humorous, but I’m a firm believer that it’s healthy to laugh at yourself regularly, so here goes. This is an honest representation of what happens when an
idiot amateur attempts to cook fish for the first time.
My actual thought process at the store:
- How big is a “filet” exactly? It says I need 4.
- Great, Kroger only has 1 pre-wrapped salmon filet.
- Can I substitute halibut?
- Woah, they sell swordfish here?
- Ah ha, I can have the guy get me fish from behind the glass.
- Ooooh oooo they have salmon.
- They only have 2
- But those look really big.
- Okay I’ll just take those two.
- HOLY CRAP TWO POUNDS.
My actual thought process post-purchase:
- OH GROSS THERE IS SKIN ON THE FILETS
- Well, Google just said fish should really be cooked the day you buy it. That was yesterday. Why didn’t anybody tell me this?
- Crap I already ate dinner…I can’t cook this tonight. Stupid delicious Ethopian food ruining my plans.
- This smells awful. Has it gone bad already? Or that just how fish is supposed to smell?
- I guess I should get it marinating now and cook tomorrow?
- OH GROSS I TOUCHED IT
HELP I DON’T KNOW WHAT I’M DOING.
My actual thought process while cooking:
- I hope my goldfish can’t see what I’m doing right now.
- OH GOD what do I do with the skin? Do I cut it off first? Can it go in the pan and cook as is?
- Oh well, here goes.
- Um let’s flip this bad boy over.
- THE SKIN CAME RIGHT OFF. WHAT. Oh wait, that solves one problem.
- Time to flip again.
- WHY ARE YOU SO FLAKEY QUIT FALLING APART
- …except flakey fish is good.
Before it started falling into pieces that salmon was starting to blacken up beautifully.
Despite all my bitching, the meal turned out quite well, believe it or not. The fish fresh out of the pan was pretty tasty just from the marinade alone, and the sauce was good minus the fact I accidentally over-thickened it. Reheated, it wasn’t bad, but this is definitely a dish that is meant to be eaten fresh out of the frying pan.
Sriracha lime sauce, easy to make but also easy to over-thicken.
If I do make again, I’d cook half as much fish, and add quite a bit more lime juice and be careful to keep the sauce thinner. However, I don’t think I’ll be making this dish again for just myself, but it might be a nice one to keep in my back pocket for trying to impress gentlemen in the future.
The current pinnacle of my experience learning-to-cook. I stared down disaster and came out victorious
Guiltless 4/4 – Pretty much nothing to regret here unless served with too much rice